Crownview Co-Occurring Institute – Our Program
Crownview Co-Occurring Institute develops comprehensive treatment plans tailored to the specific needs of each client. Specializing in complex psychiatric conditions, our clients have the opportunity to both learn and practice the relationship and life skills needed to take charge of their lives and reach the highest possible level of independence.
24-Hour Structured Housing
Crownview Co-Occurring Institute is at the forefront of both providing and managing living environments where the client feels secure, supported and understood – and where the critical balance between structure and personal freedom is constantly being evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Our housing is 24-hour supervised and provides a complete daily schedule for each client (see list below).
Transportation is provided to and from therapy sessions, self-help meetings, and other CCI activities.
Our full schedule of in-house and off-site tasks, sessions and activities includes:
- Scheduled Medications
- 12-Step SMART, NAMI, NA, AA, CODA, Refugee Recovery or other Community Support Sessions
- Meal Planning, Grocery Shopping, Meal Preparation, Daily chores
- House Meetings
- 12-Step Book Studies
- Free Time
- Occupational and Educational Development Sessions provided by our case management team
- Gym or Physical Activity
- Recreational Activities
NOTE: Our housing facilities are not “lock-down” facilities, though we have comprehensive housing policies and rules. We are considered a “step-down” from a higher level of care, such as that provided in hospitals and residential care facilities. We have housing for clients that have need while attending our program. Even though our housing does not have twenty-four hour supervision, we do have support staff and case management. We provide a carefully structured support network where clients are taught independent living, including cooking and cleaning. If a client displays uncooperative or disruptive behavior, or shows signs of being a risk to himself or others, proportional measures will be taken.
Intensive Personalized Psychotherapy
CCI’s individualized treatment approach creates highly customized action plans. We design wrap-around therapy strategies with a team approach.
Our program contains a wealth of diverse licensed professionals in addition to a fully integrated psychiatric team. This means that our psychiatrists are not independent contractors, but rather, full time employees that are available on call at any hour. Our support staff play an important role by acting as the eyes and ears of our treatment team.
Utilizing an experiential or “hands-on” approach, our case managers engage with the client and begin forging a relationship of trust.
At CCI we hold to the belief that life skills, in conjunction with proper medication, sustain mental health. Medications are used as needed to stabilize the client and lay a foundation of receptivity to other, more sustainable therapies.
The goal, evaluated with daily monitoring, is to reduce or even eliminate medications when they are no longer deemed necessary for the client’s well-being.
Psychiatry – Each client is assessed by a Crownview psychiatrist and is seen regularly for follow-up appointments throughout the course of treatment.
Our full range of psychiatric and pharmacological services include the following and more:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectic Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Stellate Ganglion Block for Trauma
- Pharmaceutical Therapies
- Milieu Therapies
- Solution-Focused Therapies
- TMS (Trans-cranial magnetic stimulation)
- Experiential Therapies
- EMDR (Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing)
- Nutrition Training and Coaching
- Yoga, Exercise and Gym Memberships
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Acupuncture (by request)
- Equine (Horseback) Therapy
- Counselling the Family
Therapy for the Family
We host regular Family Weekends with therapist run workshops to give time for re-integrating clients with their families in a controlled setting and providing opportunity for celebration of the client’s progress.
- Teaching Effective Communication Skills
- Establishing Healthy Relationship Boundaries
- Unlearning Dysfunctional Habits
- Breaking the Cycle of Co-Dependency and Enabling
- Creating new Patterns of Self-Reliance and Trust
- Training to Live Independently or Cooperatively
- Family Support Group Weekends
NOTE: We constantly monitor the responses our clients have to the pharmacological regimen we develop for them, and are careful to adjust when necessary to best effect.
Life Skills Support Therapies
Some of the skills included are the following:
- Housekeeping Skills
- Structuring, Planning and Time Management
- Nutrition and Diet
- Meal Planning and Preparation
- Grocery Shopping
- Household Financial Planning
- Personal Medication Self-Management
- Personal Hygiene
- Healthy Sleep Schedule
Work Skills, Self-Discipline and Motivation
Placing Vocational and Educational Goals in Real World Experience
To be effective, there must be training on-site with actual job responsibilities or educational performance, with at least some of the uncertainties and stresses that may involve.
CCI programs nine hours per week of occupational development for each client. This helps the client overcome their fear of failing, being rejected and lays a solid foundation for re-integration into life.
CCI offer workshops and coaching in the following ways:
- Employment Workshops
- Exploring Education and Training Options
- Mock Interviews
- Preparing and Coaching for Job Interviews
- Motivational Interviewing
Case Management – Keeping the Big Picture
Our approach to client evaluation to define their assets (strengths) and liabilities (weaknesses) – where they may be doing well and where they require professional help.
Healthy and Health-Giving Recreation
They can become channels of self-discovery and renewal, and help generate a sense of purpose in the lives of those often lacking of healthy motivations.
- Rock Climbing
- Stand-Up Paddle Boarding, Jet Skiing and Kayaking
- Boxing Class
- Gym Training
- Swimming, Surfing and Beach Activities
- Equine (Horseback) Therapy
- Plus a range of other physical activities
NOTE: Client access to these activities is not automatic – there must first be a clear demonstration of reliability and stability.
Program Walk Through
Crownview Co-occurring Institute’s program is based on a “4 phase” model to promote healthy changes as well as provide a structure to guide the individual clients plan toward success. The phase structure outlined below are general guidelines for each phase.
- Phase 1 – Acclimation: In phase 1 we create a highly-structured, compassionate, and safe environment to allow our clients to adjust to treatment.
- Phase 2 – Resocialization: At phase 2 we maintain structure as our clients begin to rediscover their social values, beliefs, and norms. As this process happens we begin to see clarity and retention. In phase 2 our clients begin to earn more responsibilities such as personal electronics and free time.
- Phase 3 – Developing life skills: Once a client reaches phase 3 they have shown the ability to begin developing or re-enforcing life skills to support independence. In phase 3 our team begins a heavy emphasis on life skills such revolving around vocational support, educational support, realistic budgeting, and healthy independent routines.
- Phase 4 – Independence: Phase 4 is where our clients begin to utilize the skills from the previous three phases to demonstrate independence with a major reduction to staff structure. We utilize this phase to observe our clients apply the combination of coping skills and life skills required to live a healthy independent life.
What makes our program outline unique is that with the above structure mixed with experienced understanding we can make each clients treatment differ from the next. This flexibility is due to the understanding that not every client falls short in the same skills as one another. With our phase system we have the ability to individualize each client’s treatment plan in every aspect to provide the most personalized and productive care possible.